Healey & Co.
The earliest form of breaks appeared in Britain sometime
in the closing years of the 18th century in the form of what might now
be called a skeleton break, intended for use only in training
horses for pair or four-in-hand work. In the 1840s, breaks with the
addition of a wagonette body were built, and these became known as body
The addition of a removable forward-facing seat behind the box seat
was a later development, and breaks with this addition were sometimes
called built-up breaks. The Healey break is built on a perch
undercarriage with telegraph springs like a coach. The axle arms have
Timken roller bearings, which had come into use for carriage a few years
The break was built for Colonel Jay Coogan of Gladstone, New Jersey,
who was a keen driving enthusiast. Mr. Seabrook bought the break from
Colonel Coogan in 1954. The paintwork was done by Tom Sullivan, an English
coachpainter, in the Seabrook workshop in 1972.
The firm of Healey & Co. was started in 1849 by William Williams.
He was awarded a Gold Medal for work exhibited at the American Institute
Fair in 1850. Afterwards, William Healey became a partner, and the firm
then became Healey, Williams & Co. About 1880, a new factory was
built on West 43rd Street, New York. This was a six-story building with
a large elevator for transferring carriages to the different departments.
There was also a repository on Broadway. The firm became Healey &
Co. in the 1890s and remained one of the leading builders of high-class
carriages in New York City. They built the Arrow coach for
the Ladies Four-in-Hand Driving Club of New York in 1901.